Alive or dead?

MeMyself&I

Rep
Threads
Sorry this is in general, I think this is the current scope of my accessibility at the moment. Nonetheless, question:

Why does every one make such a big deal out of checking if a card is alive or dead? Shouldn't that be pretty straight-forward? Find out was FI it belongs to (bin#, available on Wiki for God sakes), call the 800#, generally speaking you get in touch with an automated system that asks you for the card # and DOB as authentication. If it's not a valid # it'll tell you that before asking for DOB. If the card status is fraud/lost/suspicious it'll tell you to hold for a live-rep (hang-up, card used to be valid, is NOT anymore) If it is valid, it'll give you current and available balances, what the limit is, you can find out recent transactions, pretty much any and all information you need right there in the automated system without having to speak to a single person.

There's an ad here for MADAFAKA but I feel like using those/similar services would be hella less secure and more likely to result in killing the card by using it. So, OBVIOUSLY I'm missing something. Okay, maybe a lot. But this is why I'm asking.

Why can't you just call like I mentioned above, assuming you take the appropriate steps in doing so?
How do those online services verify the authenticity of the card, what's their process? What makes them any more efficient?

Just how dumb is this question?

Anyways. Thanks for reading. If you know anything and are able to reply, thanks a lot for that too ;)
Have a good day every body ~

MeMyself&I

Rep
Threads
Shit. And I know the term is 'live' not alive.

Oi. sry